Thursday, October 8, 2009

Teaching Kids to Knit

I apologize for the silence around here lately. I've started teaching again on top of everything else I have going on and am up to my eyeballs in things to do. It's all good though because i'm really enjoying it. My friend Teresa volunteered to help me sponsor a fiber arts club at school. Our first meeting is this coming Tuesday. We're putting together a kit for everyone containing knitting needles, crochet hook, an assortment of yarn for chosen projects and a notebook. Teresa has the crochet projects sorted out (washcloth and skinny scarf) and I'm working on the knitting side of things. I'm thinking coasters for the beginning square project but I haven't figured out the next knitting project. Maybe a hat? Any suggestions? Age range is pretty wide but I definitely have at least five students who are old enough to learn whatever I throw at them.

Also curious as to the availability of some basic knitting instructions to put in the kids folders. I don't want to infringe on anyones copyright so I'm being cautious about this. I wonder if someone has put instructions out there that can be freely copied for educational purposes. I did a quick search but didn't find anything yet. Hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel by drawing out the knit and purl stitch again myself. Any suggestions appreciated!


No comments: